Okay, why have I never attempted to make my own hummus before?! I am a big veggies/hummus/pita eater… its a healthy, easy go-to meal or snack but I ALWAYS go through my hummus so fast! And have you realized how expensive it is to buy? It’s crazy!
It’s really crazy because of how EASY it is to make your own! I know a lot of people who make their own hummus, I had just never tried it. Well, I saw this recipe for Falafel hummus on pinterest and decided to give it a whirl! I had a can of chickpeas in my pantry and I had all the spices on hand – so it was incredibly easy and inexpensive to make!
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to drizzle on top
- Place chickpeas, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander, chili powder, crushed red pepper, sea salt, tahini and water in a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrap down sides as needed. Pour olive oil in while blending and process until smooth. Add more water if you want a smoother texture.
- To serve, transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with vegetables like cucumbers or carrots or pita and falafel.